Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Who knew?


Cast Call
Originally uploaded by kishbee.
This weekend provided me with an enlightening moment involving Kaydee...one of those proud parent moments.

Kaydee participated in the Performing Arts Institute for the past two weeks in their Young Artists Musical Theater Program. She would spent 7 hours a day practicing and rehearsing and come home exhausted but happy. I listened in awe all week as she memorized 15 pieces of music...but she was happy. Happier in fact than I've ever seen her.

When the time came for her group choral performance I sat in the audience and listened and clapped and stood up as she got her first standing ovation. Her group (all 10 voices) sounded like angels and amongst some of the most talented high school muscians in the country the kids stood there own and brought down the house..and still Kaydee was happy.

Then she performed in her first musical "Magic in the Attic". I was nervous and scared for her..but she was happy and relaxed. Then it happened...

She walked confidently across the stage and sang her first solo. She portrayed Anna from "The King and I" and as she "Whistled a Happy Tune" Kaydee was no longer Kaydee..she WAS Anna. Her voice was totally natural, strong and beautiful as if she had been performing all her life. And Kaydee was Happy..

And I was Proud. Proud to witness her first moment of what I am sure will be many on the stage. Proud of what she had become in 2 short weeks. And most of all Proud that she was My daughter and My daughter is Happy!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you mommy.