Thursday, August 10, 2006

And She smiled


Today I was awoken at 5 am by a phone call on my cell. Ohh no not good I thought...nothing at 5 am ever is. However this time was different. It was my BBF, Sue..."We're having our baby" she said. This was it..the end of a very long 9 months that started back in December with a happy announcement phone call. Sue was going to be a grandma again.

Our phone calls were filled the next couple of months with discussions of pink dresses and blue onesies..they also had some fear that the baby would be healthy.

Then I got another phone call on my cell in late February...this one late in the afternoon. This was the phone call no friend or human should ever hear. "My daughter is dead", Sue said. The world stopped and the agonizing days began. I supported my friend as best I could. I watched as her and her family went through the most horrible thing a family ever has to go through. Sue worried about the baby that had not been born. She worried about her other daughter who was carrying the baby and was also mourning a sister. And again the phone calls continued endlessly while she came to terms with Why. But this baby was a fighter. The baby was not going anywhere and continued to thrive.

The phone rang yet again about a month later. This was a short conversation. "He's been arrested" she said. How much more could she and her family endure? Losing her daughter and now her son-in-law? So much loss..but still the baby was there just waiting. Thoughts of the baby were such a wonderful distraction...planning the baby shower, watching her daughters belly grow.

Then the phone call today. Keira Marie arrived early this morning and for the first time in many months the phone call had tears of joy not of sorrow and I'm positive Grandma Sue was smiling for the first time in many months and I'm also positive that so was Aunt Carli from up in the clouds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great writing. I am in tears. I have lost a god son and my best friend's baby over the last two years. This brought back some memories, but like this story, the mommy of my god son is expecting her healthy baby any second, there is some happiness. My best friend also delivered a beautiful baby boy 3 weeks ago. We were all smiles! Thanks for sharing.

Slackermommy said...

Awww, that gives me goosebumps.